PLEDGE dedication to prevention of suicide in North and East of Sri Lanka, 30 years civil war has contributed to suicide rate to well above the average and almost double compare to world average suicide rate. War has ended in 2009, affects and recovery process is slow or none, individuals and community living in North and East seeking external support to prevent or to reduce current crisis Tamil community forced to face to live in depression.
Our work is based on the simple quote by William James “Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does”, belief that suicide is preventable and everyone has a role to play in preventing suicide. Through raising public awareness, educating communities, and equipping every person with the right tools, we can restore life to its best state to achieve purpose and fullness of individuals to contributor to his/her community empowerment.
PLEDGE is a not-for -profit organization governed by an all-volunteer and The Australian Charities and Not-for-profit Commission Act 2012 local levels to prevent suicide using a public suicide prevention campaign awareness programs, use existing health model in suicide prevention; concentrating its efforts on education, treatment and awareness.
PLEDGE approach to suicide prevention through the establishment of a Suicide Prevention Strategy.
- Partnership with Local Hospital Networks, Community service organisations, volunteers and other local organisations with funding available through a flexible funding pool
- Prevent suicide and promote mental health and resilience across the community living in North & East of Sri Lanka.
- Provide expert advice and connect service providers to access to resources and training programs on how to address the complex issues of suicide and suicide prevention.
- Develop and recommend a crisis plan for volunteers to prepare to equip to address suicidal incidents, support referrals, provide ongoing support for individual’s prevention and recovery process, in order to stay safe and get the help when they need.
- Setting norms and standards and promoting and monitoring their implementation